Pages

Table Mats and a Drafty Door

Sunny table mats for winter...I love yellow so I can live with it easily though I don't wear it very much...These placemats were pretty easy to make. But washing them will become a task...If they end up on the wrong washing machine cycle they will most probably fall apart. They'll all become a frayed tangled mess because of the type of fabric I've used...I'll have to be so careful!

Table Mats:
You'll need scissors, fabric, contrast cotton, a marking pen, an old place mat for sizing and a sewing machine to make these table mats...

* Choose a heavy weight cotton fabric.
* You will need a fabric that frays easily
* Divide the fabric into rectangles
* Then mark and cut out your rectangle place mats
* Zig zag stitch 3/4 to 1" inside the rectangle on all sides
* Next unravel the weave until it reaches the stitching (frayed edge)
* Press and use...

Note:
You can turn and stitch short ends for a different look. I wish I had done this as my short ends didn't fray that well... I got four x-large placemats out of a metre of upholstery fabric.

From the left over scraps there was enough to make a draft stopper (sewn with the raw frayed edges showing). Next I filled the draft stopper with kitty litter...I hope that cat doesn't think it's a dirt box!


All sewn using a Bernina Record 730. How did I
manage that? Well that's another post!

2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful.. Love that fabric.. [I like yellow too.. Looks so pretty with red].. Happy sewing.
    Anxious to hear about the sewing machine,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I like red and yellow together too...yes must post I am busy trying to work out why my bottling won't seal...I think it's the jars LOL . Happy sewing to you too I will post soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...