So I went out and bought a pack of vests/singlets (depends what you call them). They come in packs of two which is great... I used these for the tops of the princess dresses, the wee one has already had a fitting.
To make the dresses I just cut the vests/singlets a few inches down from the armhole I think it was three inches. Then I gathered the fabric as full as I wanted and then sewed this onto the top. I used two layers of fabric to make the gathered skirt part. The stiff pale pink sheer fabric was used underneath and the softer pink flower fabric for the top layer of the skirt.
This is not a fire-proof type of fabric so they've all been given strict instructions that these dresses are for playing only and away from heaters etc. I also had fun buying something pretty for their hair and some pretend shoes so they could be dancing princesses. You can tell I was princess deprived in my childhood. I'm making up for it now...The girls should look cute for their celebrations tomorrow.
Finally my Elna 745 overlocker performed and it did a nice small 2-thread rolled hem finish....
|When I cut the vest I used white hemming tape |
to stabilize the knit fabric before sewing on
the gathered Voile type fabric...
|Princess dresses for the dress-up box...|