Pages

Big Beach Bag

I've just finished sewing my white cherry oil cloth fabric. It's been in my stash for ages. I didn't have enough to make the bag all in white so I used scraps left over from the cushion cover I made.

The tutorial I referred to was the Oil Cloth Beach Bag
Also here is another similar Beach Bag tutorial
found here.

Was the tutorial easy to follow?
It was very easy to follow I just printed it out and followed the instructions. My bag didn't have as high pockets on one side as in the tutorial, I ran out of fabric. I also made my straps thinner because I ran out of white fabric as well.

When the beach bag was finished it was a perfect size for the beach. Though my pockets were not perfect I accidentally cut one side of the pockets too short (I think I was half asleep!).  But I sewed the two pieces of fabric together to make do.

Would I make this again?
Yes I would and what I really like is my bag is waterproof and it does makes the hassle of sewing oil cloth worthwhile.
What I'd Change:
Next time I will make the pockets a bit deeper.
Changes I did Make:
I put a zipped pouch, attached by a strap to the side seams for make-up etc. I also attached a ring to a strap inside so you can clip your keys onto it.


The  oil cloth and tutorial print-out
Joining the straps together....
Just like making bias
Making the thin straps...clips to hold
I'm totally getting the evil eye...
Placing the straps ready to sew...
A bit tricky as I was trying not to
use pins
Sewing the straps on using
the Bernina 801
The make-up pouch it's actually
 square but doesn't look it in the pic
Some hard core sewing today...
Finally finished
Now  it's all ready to fill with towels...

4 comments:

  1. THis is adorable. Was the oil cloth easy to sew?
    Love the fabric you chose.. just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I find oil cloth a bit tricky as it's slippery but if you use tape and clips it's fine. The only problem I have is my tension sometimes goes wonky...

      Delete
  2. Zips on the outside pockets would have made it better I lose things LOL. But it is a good bag for the beach...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...