Pages

Sewing From the Past

My sewing is at a standstill, it's the school holidays and I've been having a bit of a tidy up (photo albums). So once again I've been lost to the past...

This is Granny's cat I once tried to chop him up with her big dressmaking shears. Luckily they were blunt and I was stopped just as I had a big hunk of black fur wedged between the blades. 'Monty' the black cat always drunk his milk in a cup, he used his paw to lick it up...Granny used to send me photos of him when I came back to NZ.

The dress on the left is made by Granny I'm not too sure about mine...In the second picture all the sisters are wearing dresses sewn by her also.

The pics at the bottom are two dresses made by me. The one on the left was perfect except for where I placed the buttons. That's always a hard one isn't it? Has anyone got any tricks how they place their shirt buttons?

The dress on the right just got shorter and shorter. For a dropped waist dress there was hardly any skirt, I didn't do alterations to patterns in those days...The yellow dress was one of my self taught efforts, just when I started sewing. There was no one to tell me I should have shortened the bodice a wee bit...and those sleeves are so puffy!

'Monty'  Granny's cat
The girls and their grandmother in dresses
sewn by Granny...
Made by me....
The dress on the left (70's )was red with a
draw string waist and full skirt...

The (60's) dress on the right is yellow with
 a  dropped waist...

2 comments:

  1. Oh what fun to look back at our old photos.. I love them!!
    I don't think any of us , altered patterns back then. We didn't know anything about it.ha.I love the puffy sleeve dress, I think you were just "in style".. I remember having one almost just like it.
    I would love to have some photos of my early sewing days.. Our house burned, and the photos are gone..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like old photos too....thanks I was off to a wedding in my puffy dress. It's sad when you lose things in a fire I've managed to have two. Didn't lose the house but lost things in it. You have lovely photos you post of your creations now...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...