Pages

Bakewell Tart or Linzer?

Are they the same thing? I had very good intentions of making Jamie Oliver's Bakewell Tart for Christmas. But somehow I ended making Linzer Cookies.

The biscuit mixture is very easy to make and very tasty raw (I licked the spoon to try it). The recipe I used was from Angie's Recipes. If you want to see her Linzer Cookies and many other interesting foody things look here. This is my Linzer biscuit adaptation, I couldn't help myself I added some almond essence (love that smell, it's so Christmas) to the mix, but only half a cap.......

The Recipe
200g butter
100g  sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp almond essence
A pinch of salt
150g ground almonds
180g plain flour
1/2 tsp of mixed spice or (any mixture of spices you like)
You will need icing sugar for dusting the cookies and jam for the filling. I used raspberry.


Putting it all together:

  • Cream butter and sugar together with electric beater (makes life easier)
  • Add the egg yolk and almond essence to the butter mix beat until combined
  • Then add the ground almonds, plain flour and mixed spice
  • Mix all the ingredients together (I kneaded the dough till smooth)
  • Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple of hours
  • Bring the dough back to almost room temperature and roll out
  • Roll the dough out between two pieces of baking paper on a flat board
  • Cut out half your cookies with a round fluted cookie cutter
  • Cut the other half with the round fluted cutter, then recut to make a hole in the centre
  • Bake at 350F or 180degrees celsius for about 10 minutes
  • Put jam on the flat side of the cookie, put the top on refill hole with some jam and dust with icing sugar
  • Separate the layers of cookies with baking paper and store in an airtight container

You can put any jam or preserve in between the cookies
 I used Raspberry jam but was thinking a Cherry jam would
be nice giving the Linzer cookies a real European taste
All dusted and ready to eat at Christmas

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...