Pages

The Cathedral in Ruins

It's a long time since I have been into Cathedral Square. There are so many shopping malls now and you tend to go there, easy parking....I like many others went to view the Christchurch Cathedral for the last time before it is pulled down. It took me back to more carefree times when I used to go into town on the bus then go and climb the Cathedral spire. It was wonderful you got to look out at the square and city......

Not so good when you have the realization that your children have never done this nor their children.... I forgot that one, I guess I'm the only one in my family that has climbed it....Anyway all of my family on different days, except one, took the walk into the city to view the Cathedral for the last time......

It was getting really busy, it was only 930am...
and it was too hot and sunny for good pics......
This was the last day for viewing the Cathedral

The door's still okay....
Amazing detail above the door....
Some of the stained glass windows are okay and
they will be removed unlike this one....
The tower is gone...
Perhaps we should leave it as ruins  just like the
Romans did......but I doubt that will happen
The Christchurch Cathedral was built around  in the 19th
century and this is all that's left of it now, it's to be demolished
Photo taken by my brother  he went the week before me so got a
 better pic of the whole Cathedral....with no people in front
The top of the spire is in the Canterbury Museum

4 comments:

  1. There's something quite beautiful about a crumbling catherdral...it a shame they are knocking it down although I guess its a h&s hazard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it's beautiful a crumbling cathedral, yes it will be a hazard and we ar not allowed in our city because something might fall on us :) but I would like to see it left as ruins. It's coming down to a safe level for now I think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, may I use your photo (with credits and a link back to your blog) for a blog piece about the Cathedral?

    I'm writing about the debate regarding demolition and rebuilding of the Cathedral.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie

      Yes that's fine it's a big debate so many want to save it....and it's a shame if they can't do something.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...